Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas OVA Coming to Crunchyroll

Well, like I said when I took a look back at Masami Kurumada's time in the North American manga industry ending, while I don't think that any of Kurumada's manga, or even titles related to Kurumada's manga, coming over I still hold out hope for the anime adaptations. And now Crunchyroll has proved me right, as they will be streaming the first 13-episode season of Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas soon and will be streaming the upcoming second season as part of their new winter simulcasts.


Now while I haven't finished watching the first season, what I did see of it I definitely liked. The original manga by Shiori Teshirogi, with Kurumada supervising it, is a really good alternate prequel to the original Saint Seiya. Yeah, it does reuse a number of aspects and storyline elements from the original Saint Seiya, but that doesn't hurt it too much and the OVA is a really good adaptation of the manga. Still, it's great to see a company give another Kurumada-related title a chance, and if you live in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Ireland you too can watch this OVA. I definitely say to give it a try, as it's very friendly to newcomers and works well as a stand-alone story.

Now one can only hope that this does well enough for CR to consider what should be the reasonable path to take: Streaming the Ring ni Kakero 1 anime and simulcasting Sekai Taikai-hen this upcoming spring! Who's with me?!

Anime © Masami Kurumada・Shiori Teshirogi/Akita Shoten・TMS

No comments:

Post a Comment